Birth Date: 24-8-1934
Place of Birth: Hyderabad, Sind (Pakistan)
Academic Attainments :Inter Arts
Permanent Residential Address :
7, Floriana Estate
Boat Club Rd, Pune – 411 001
1. ‘Pankha Vajaeen Shankha’ (Wings Play Music), Poetry, 1983.
2. ‘Piraha Ja Piyaka’ (Early Birds of Dawn) , Novel, 1991.
3. ‘Sujjan Joon Smrityun’ (Memories of stalwarts), Biography, 1990.
4. ‘Bipahri-a-Ja Pal’ (Few Moments of noon) , Autobio-graphical Essays, 1995.
5. ‘Sawal Ee Sawal’ (Too Many Questions), Short Stories, 1998.
6. ‘Bhambhirke Jee Bhun Bhun’ (Whispers of twilight), Poetry, 1985.
She has received several awards/ honours. A few most significant are given bellow:
• Awards for Novel ‘Bhambhirke Jee Bhun Bhun’ 1987 (At New Delhi by Central Hindi Directorate), Govt. of India.
• Award as ‘Most Prolific Lady Writer’ 1997 (At Mumbai by Akhil Bharat Sindhi Boli Ain Sahit Sabha).
• Award for outstanding contributions to literature’ 1998 (At Mumbai by R.J. Trust).
• Life Time Achievement Literature Award, 1998 (At Nagpur by Maharashtra State Sindhi Sahitya Academy).
• Award for Short Storie’s Book ‘Sawal-ee- Sawal’ 2000 (At Mumbai by National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language).
i) Rita is a Member of National Council for Promotion of Sindhi Language, Govt. of India.
ii) Very recently, she visited Sind (Pakistan), and had several encounters with prolific writers & poets there and has carried with her happy memories.
Rita Shahani is one of the most prominent Sindhi lady writers, having written many books, almost on every genre of literature. Many of her books have secured prizes from the government bodies and private institutions. Many of her writings have found a place in other modern Indian languages too.